[Klug-general] VirtualBox hogs me printers

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 11:00:55 UTC 2008

2008/9/3 Mike Rentell <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>:

>>> That's the bit that baffles me - need words suitable for a bear of little
>>> brain I'm afraid.
>>>

>> Open Web Browser in Virtual Machine (IE is fine) and visit
>> http://<name of host>:631/

>>> I thought I'd done that - it seems to work, but it is obviously directly
>>> connected, not via some notional network.

>>> Would 'localhost' do for <name of host>? Not sure what my hostname is
>>> because this PC is more or less standalone.
>>>

>> The localhost will be the virtual machine, you want the host, which
>> will be different. Its probably not a name but an ip. eg 192.168.0.1

>>> Windows or Linux?

>>> So far it don't - not bothered desperately but it would be nice not to
>>> have
>>> to restart the printers.

>>> That's what I'm trying to achieve.  Thanks for the advice Peter. Not
>>> there
>>> yet though.
>>>

>> Peter
>>
> Hello again Peter (and the group),
> I enabled everything for Samba that I can see in the Mandriva Configure
> pages and added the various mount points etc.
>
> Then in WinXP hosted under VirtualBox I first deleted the two printers
> addressed directly and then got up IE and typed:
>
> http://192.168.2.2:631/printers
>
> That worked - up popped the Cups page for the printers so I clicked the
> 'Print Test Page' for one of my printers. The job appeared in the Jobs page
> but nothing happened.
>
> When I shut down VBox the printer leapt into life and printed it all out. So
> now I can't print in WinXP or Linux when in VB. But it all comes out when I
> shut it down.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a block somewhere in the Mandriva setup.
>
> Not desperately bothered and if it is too much of a fag don't let it bother
> you either. I was just trying to make everything perfect (hah!)
> But thanks anyway.
> MikeR

Sounds to me like the Virtual Machine is grabbing the printer and cups
can't speak to it while the virtual machine has it. Check the settings
in Virtual Box and remove the virtual USB port (or what ever you
printer is connected to) from the Virtual Machine.
Thats should fix the problem

Regards

Peter.