[Klug-general] VirtualBox hogs me printers

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:37:50 UTC 2008

2008/9/3 Mike Rentell <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>:

> Peter Childs wrote:

>>> Hello again Peter (and the group),
>>> I enabled everything for Samba that I can see in the Mandriva Configure
>>> pages and added the various mount points etc.
>>>
>>> Then in WinXP hosted under VirtualBox I first deleted the two printers
>>> addressed directly and then got up IE and typed:
>>>
>>> http://192.168.2.2:631/printers
>>>
>>> That worked - up popped the Cups page for the printers so I clicked the
>>> 'Print Test Page' for one of my printers. The job appeared in the Jobs
>>> page
>>> but nothing happened.
>>>
>>> When I shut down VBox the printer leapt into life and printed it all out.
>>> So
>>> now I can't print in WinXP or Linux when in VB. But it all comes out when
>>> shut it down.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if there is a block somewhere in the Mandriva setup.
>>>
>>> Not desperately bothered and if it is too much of a fag don't let it
>>> bother
>>> you either. I was just trying to make everything perfect (hah!)
>>> But thanks anyway.
>>> MikeR
>>>

>> Sounds to me like the Virtual Machine is grabbing the printer and cups
>> can't speak to it while the virtual machine has it. Check the settings
>> in Virtual Box and remove the virtual USB port (or what ever you
>> printer is connected to) from the Virtual Machine.
>> Thats should fix the problem
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Peter.
>>
> Hah! That worked. Using MSIE under VBox I can now see
> http://192.168.2.2:631/printers and when the CUPS management page comes up I
> can click each printer's 'Print test page' and both printers do so (after
> saving the root password to CUPS).
>
> However, when I try and install a new printer under WinXP using the built-in
> facilities I am unsure what to put in the search box. I've tried the above
> http: line but WinXP professes bafflement at that.

http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/PSC_2170_Series

should work XP can talk ipp (Internet Printing Protocol) where
PSC_2179_Series is the name of your printer. which should be listed on
the http://192.168.2.2:631/printers page in the web browser.

Maybe we need to do a meet on Cups and Ipp at some point.

Peter.