[Klug-general] MEETING: Dover Saturday 27th September

rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 11:35:15 UTC 2008

Hi
         Hopefully I will be there. (Partner is Planning Holiday not finalised yet.
                 Sorry but I have another problem. A couple of days ago while making a grub boot disc as advised on a web page, I seem to be unable to boot my PC any more. Initially it just hung just before the boot menu. But having fished out Xmas Linux Format and tried a grub repair. The example is for two partitions on the same disk, but  I have windows XP on sda  and Ubuntu on sdb. Using the Ubuntu install disc I mounted  /dev/sda1 on /mnt  and tried various options that seemed appropriate (I know I should record what I have done - lesson learned) but the net result is that the message "Grub loading stage1.5" is displayed in an endless loop. very pretty but not what I wanted.
      I was just going to reinstall ubuntu, but .........
I have also failed miserably to save my home directories to dvd being baffled by a mass of options which mean nothing to me.
          If anyone can offer a solution (with a short explanation would be nice) I would again be grateful
    What started out as Fun has become a real Pain in the you know what.
          Help before I tear out what's left of my hair!!
             Rich