No subject

Thu Sep 25 09:02:10 UTC 2008

plea for help indicated, had not been able to make them install.

In truth, I think the problem will have to be on my system because,
related to "System Install Packages". I am asked for "Authentication as "Root"".
It needs an administrator's password.

This first Linux purchase is a little Acer AOA110-AB Q1. When going through
 the set up welcome process, I may well have been asked to set a password.
I've  always felt that the threat to my security by not being password
protected was  less than the threat were a password to be forgotten or the file
containing it  to be corrupted. As a matter of course therefore, I do not set
passwords on this  or any computer.

However, where there is no option such as with eMail accounts etc, I have
three or four standard passwords. If the setting of a password had been
mandatory when first firing up the Acer, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't  it
would still have been one of these that I would have used.

Since I've tried all of these when trying to invoke these Skype  programmes
with no success, I can only assume that this 'Root Authentication'  must be
a factory setting.

If anyone's got any ideas how I might get into the system and free it  of
this password requirement - or discover what the password is - I'd much
appreciate it.

Even without the password and, therefore, Skype communication, I'm still
taking the Acer on my next trip and leaving on Wednesday. I'm  taking it,
rather than my Widows equipped laptop even though it  currently can only be
used for eMail - and Office/Open Office type work -  and not, as I'd hoped for
audio and video communication.

That's unless anyone can help me in the next couple of  days!!!!!!!

Patrick Richardson

-------------------------------1242032040

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16809" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY=
: Arial"
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>I had been directed from the Skype home page to their&nbsp;download=

options. From there, I had downloaded a couple of the listed programmes bu=
t, as
my plea for help indicated, had not been able to make them&nbsp;install.=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In truth,&nbsp;I think the problem will have to be on my system becau=
se,
related to "System Install Packages". I am asked for "Authentication as "R=
oot"".
It needs an administrator's password.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This first Linux purchase is a little Acer AOA110-AB Q1. When going=
 through
the set up welcome process, I may well have been asked to set a password.=
 I've
always felt that the threat to my security by not being password protected=
 was
less than the threat were a password to be forgotten or the file containin=
g it
to be corrupted. As a matter of course therefore, I do not set passwords=
 on this
or any computer.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>However, where there is no option such as with eMail accounts etc, I=
 have
three or four standard passwords. If the setting of a password had been
mandatory when&nbsp;first firing up the Acer, though I'm pretty sure it wa=
sn't
it would still have been one of these that I would have used.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Since I've tried&nbsp;all of these when trying to invoke these Skype=

programmes with no success, I can only assume that this 'Root Authenticati=
on'
must be a factory setting.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If&nbsp;anyone's got any ideas how I might get into the system and fr=
ee it
of this password requirement - or discover what the password is - I'd much=

appreciate it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Even without the password and, therefore, Skype communication, I'm st=
ill
taking the Acer on my next trip&nbsp;and leaving on Wednesday. I'm
taking&nbsp;it, &nbsp;rather than my Widows equipped laptop even though it=

currently can only&nbsp;be used for eMail - and Office/Open Office type wo=
rk -
and not, as I'd hoped for audio and video communication.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That's unless anyone can help me in the next couple of
days!!!!!!!</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"
PTSIZE=3D"10"><B><I><BR>Patrick Richardson</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DAri=
al
color=3D#000000 size=3D1 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"
PTSIZE=3D"8"></B><BR></I></FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>