[Klug-general] Screen resolutions in (K)Ubuntu >=8.10

Peter Apps peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 20:00:20 UTC 2009

I'm trying to run a computer through my television for multimedia use.
It's plugged in as the monitor and works fine in Kubuntu 8.04. The
latest versions of Kubuntu and Ubuntu use an automatic system to set
screen sizes and won't recognise the TV and sets it to 640x480 pixels.

I've looked at xrandr and a couple of related applications but they're
terrifically complicated and it was easier to revert to version 8.04
that doesn't have this 'improvement'.

Short of dumping all Debian based distributions does anyone a simple
solution that doesn't sidetrack me into learning about mode lines.

Regards, Peter.

XORG.CONF
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
*only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and
settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver		"vesa"
EndSection