[Klug-general] The Wonders Of MythTV

Paul Littlefield paul.littlefield at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 27 09:17:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 20:43 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> It worked for me too, The only problem I had was
>
> 1. Finding the extra questions in the setup program which come up in
> the terminal window it opens (alt-tab helps here) otherwise it looks
> like its crashed.

Yes, that's one of the things I will be putting in the wiki!

> 2. Answer those questions correctly, if you don't answer them
> correctly ie not the defaults it will crash, (well at least it did for
> me)

Yes, there are 2 ways to get the right channels. Either answer all the
questions by hand, or answer 'all' then edit your .mythtv/filename.xml
file. Option 2 is way quicker.

I am going to put this on the wiki, along with examples.

> Other great feature of using the Radio TImes Logs is that you get Channel Logos.

Yep.

> get_iplayer works fine for me, mythvodka segments. I think this may
> have something to do with me running 64bit Mythbuntu.

I think it's absolutely marvellous that someone enterprising has written
this for Linux. They've gone, "come on BBC, we're not gonna start
selling your programs on eBay. We want to be able to watch stuff when we
want to, and not time limited."

> Hmm Great, how did you right you menu options in myth to transcode to
> MP4 for your ipod? Put simply I want to be able to select transcode to
> mp4 and later just drop it on to my player. currently its some odd
> command line I can't get right.

Yes, that is on one of my bookmarks... ah, got it:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythExport

Again, it didn't work out-of-the-box but doing it on the command line
worked. I just need time to tweak the mythexport script. In fact, I
remember having to hack it, because of some faac typo.

** NOTE TO SELF - must wiki as I go along **

:-)

> The only comment I have heard that Myth can do that other PVRs can do
> (ie MediaPortal) is being able to get multiple channels from one MUX
> and therefore being able to watch multiple channels at once using one
> tuner card, so long as they are on the same MUX (frequency?). I don't
> totally understand this, But it does sound like a killer feature.

Hhmm, don't know about this one.

Paully