[Klug-general] KLUG OS

AllenJB allen at allenjb.me.uk
Wed Apr 29 19:41:40 UTC 2009

Stuart Brand wrote:
> OK, you are right again, new distros should only be created by those
> who have established ones already, there is no room for innovation on
> this list and in future I will keep quite about such controversial
> subjects
>
> Stuart

I never said that people who have never created a distro can't. There's
no reason at all why they can't. What I did say was: Don't reinvent the
wheel. Creating an entire distro "just because" is a poor way to start.
You need some idea or goal to start with - and that should be something
that's not already covered by an existing project.

I never said that there's no room for innovation. If you have a
brilliantly innovative idea, lets here it - but all you've said so far
is you want to create a distro (for the purposes of a common base to
support from, which is the poorest reason I've ever heard for creating a
distro).

As I noted already, getting everyone within KLUG to use the same distro
(never mind develop one) is impossible. Everyone has their favorite
distros, each for their own reasons. Most people don't have that much
free time to spend and as such are cautious (maybe not exactly the right
word I'm looking for) with where they spend it.

If you have something innovative, a distro may or may not be a good way
to implement it. Given the size of the undertaking with a distro, I
highly suspect it's going to be on the not side. Without any information
on this brilliantly innovative idea, I unfortunately can't comment any
further.

AllenJB