[Klug-general] KLUG OS

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:19:36 UTC 2009

rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk wrote:

>  As someone on low income with a fair amount of time and lots of old
> equipment ( some kindly donated by KLUG members) I am particularly
> interested in "Linux from the Dawn of Time" and low memory distros in
> particular. Surfing the web is not a priority for me as I have an old
> 500Mhz pentium which is fast enough for me. I am currently trying to
> build an LFS system. 16M of RAM ran Windows 95 at a tolerable pace for
> everyday tasks surely some Basic linux system  must still be lingering
> around from that era? (DSL apart as it appears to have very limited
> application content as far as I can gather) Most super PCs seem to
> waste CPU cyc and RAM making  whirling desktops and other gimmicks ( or
> so I am lead to believe). To each his own say I. Give what you can (not
> much in my case) and be grateful for the support of fellow KLUGGERS.
> Incidently I have a problem building gcc on LFS but will supply details
> when I have had another go!
>  Rich
> P.S Am I right in thinking that this is the same guy who was convinced
> that he could devise a totally secure OS?

I was just having a sly dig at Debian, nothing to do with me.

If you're looking at a distro that runs well on slow hardware then
Gentoo is probably your best bet as it will be up and running (command
line) in a couple of hours. After a few long (during the night) compiles
(only if you want X) you should have a nifty system. A few packages I
would suggest is slim, openbox (if so also get obconf and obmenu),
pypanel and most importantly ccache to speed subsequent compiles up.