[Klug-general] KLUG OS

rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Apr 30 18:03:31 UTC 2009

documentation?

>>> I have to reiterate what others have said here. Reinventing the
wheel is
>>> bad. If you want a well supported, easy to install and run distro
for
>>> new users which has lots of documentation already available, I
would
>>> suggest Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> If you want to get dirty and mess about at a relatively low level,
then
>>> I would suggest installing LFS at least once, then using Gentoo.
Again -
>>> large support base with plenty of documentation.
>>>

>> Alternatively you could take one distro and really get into the
depths and
>> dark corners of how it works, truely understand the internals. With
>> debian, I highly recommend anyone using it to get themselves a copy
of:

>> http://is.gd/vtxj
>>

>That would be awesome... if we wanted to know what linux was like at
the
>dawn of time.

 As someone on low income with a fair amount of time and lots of old
equipment ( some kindly donated by KLUG members) I am particularly
interested in "Linux from the Dawn of Time" and low memory distros in
particular. Surfing the web is not a priority for me as I have an old
500Mhz pentium which is fast enough for me. I am currently trying to
build an LFS system. 16M of RAM ran Windows 95 at a tolerable pace for
everyday tasks surely some Basic linux system  must still be lingering
around from that era? (DSL apart as it appears to have very limited
application content as far as I can gather) Most super PCs seem to
waste CPU cyc and RAM making  whirling desktops and other gimmicks ( or
so I am lead to believe). To each his own say I. Give what you can (not
much in my case) and be grateful for the support of fellow KLUGGERS.
Incidently I have a problem building gcc on LFS but will supply details
when I have had another go!
 Rich
P.S Am I right in thinking that this is the same guy who was convinced
that he could devise a totally secure OS?

News, Celebrity Gossip, Videos and more - http://www.tiscali.co.uk