[Klug-general] Raid....

Twigathy twigathy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 11:04:30 UTC 2009

2009/8/10 Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org>:
> I'm looking for some up to date documentation on Software RAID its
> just the Howtos look super ancient and nothing else seams to look
> right.

A *lot* of the raid guides out there are seriously old and need
purging from the www. Still using things like /etc/raidconf (Nowadays
/etc/mdadm.conf).... http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Main_Page
has some more up to date info.

> Also fdisk, how do the units work as I've got a 122G disk and a 250G
> disk which I want partions on of the same size, but the units are
> different, So wants the best way of specify the sizes, and also
> ensuring that my raid volume is the size I want even if the partion(s)
> I'm putting it on currently is bigger due to the layout of the disk.

When partitioning, you can tell fdisk you want a partition '120G' for
example, and it'll make a 120GB partition for you :)