[Klug-general] bt home hub2 - wireless connection problems

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sat Dec 5 11:30:52 UTC 2009

I also use WEP128 at home - mostly out of cowardice.

When I first set up the wireless network I had to use ndiswrapper and
the fwcutter to get the appropriate firmware to send to the card.
However those nice Ubuntu people now do that for me so the correct
version of the driver with compatible firmware embedded is available as
'non-free' firmware from their repository and this is detected and
installed automatically.  (Provided I have a wired connection when I do
an initial install of course!)

Use of WPA requires, as Colin menntioned, WPA2 compatibility on your
card if your router uses WPA2.  It also requires a module called WPA
Supplicant.  You may have to install that separately.  I think its job
is to sit in the background and handle the continuously changing
encryption keys that WPA uses.  If you are using Network Manager I think
you get it all included but I'm not sure - like I say I've not plucked
up the courage to give it a go.

Mike