[Klug-general] ipv6?

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Dec 10 20:01:53 UTC 2009

On 10/12/2009, "J D Freeman" <klug at quixotic.org.uk> wrote:

>The downside of this is that initially v6 is pain to configure, and
>requires some kit being replaced etc... However, once you to get it
>working, it just works! If your belkin dsl router thingy was able to give
>out automatic v6 addresses, then most people could use it, and not need to
>see the complexity that goes into it. What would be really useful is if
>everyone wrote a letter to their ISP asking for native v6, if enough of us
>write to them, perhaps then they will implement it to stop us bugging
>them.
>
>In the mean time, those of us working with it nearer the core can continue
>to sacrafice chickens whilst burning black candles in the hope of getting
>it to work...

What it boils down to for me, is a question of time. Do I have time to
look into ipv6 now I know I don't need it? No, because my interest at
this moment lies in building and configuring software, from a real-time
pre-emption patched kernel upwards, for audio production on a stripped
down debian-testing system. Not the recommended way of doing it, but
it's what I sacrifice my goats for.

James.