[Klug-general] [Klug-General] More free stuff

Martin A. Brooks martin at antibodymx.net
Sun Feb 22 14:04:22 UTC 2009

George Prowse wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>> ly?  The things that really help with compiling lots of stuff are
>> lots of cores, lots of memory and lovely quick disks.  None of these
>> things are usually present on a laptop.
>>

> That's only getting it set up, Gentoo has a tiny footprint and once you
> get everything up and running (it may take a day or two) it should run
> faster than your average binary based distro.

Two days of compiling to "optimise" software that will spend 99.5% of
the time waiting for user input?   Compare that to perhaps 30 minutes to
install something like Debian or Ubuntu.   I think I'd rather save the
other 23.5 hours for more important things, like, well, anything other
than watching endless compile progress screens go past.

> You dont need to keep updating Gentoo, some people on production servers will do it once a year

Then they have badly maintained systems.

Perhaps not suitable for younger persons but  http://funroll-loops.info/