[Klug-general] [Klug-General] More free stuff

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:40:50 UTC 2009

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> George Prowse wrote:
>
>> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>>

>>> ly?  The things that really help with compiling lots of stuff are
>>> lots of cores, lots of memory and lovely quick disks.  None of these
>>> things are usually present on a laptop.
>>>

>> That's only getting it set up, Gentoo has a tiny footprint and once you
>> get everything up and running (it may take a day or two) it should run
>> faster than your average binary based distro.
>>

> Two days of compiling to "optimise" software that will spend 99.5% of
> the time waiting for user input?   Compare that to perhaps 30 minutes to
> install something like Debian or Ubuntu.   I think I'd rather save the
> other 23.5 hours for more important things, like, well, anything other
> than watching endless compile progress screens go past.

You're right, you'd be better off with windows anyway

>> You dont need to keep updating Gentoo, some people on production servers will do it once a year
>>

> Then they have badly maintained systems.

Orly? So all those servers running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 kernels are badly
maintained? Maybe you should go and tell them?
> Perhaps not suitable for younger persons but  http://funroll-loops.info/

Ah yes, a great page created by someone whose linux knowlege was so poor
he couldn't get Gentoo working. Awesome.

Do you have something against Gentoo or are you in a bad mood?