[Klug-general] [Klug-General] More free stuff

Martin A. Brooks martin at antibodymx.net
Sun Feb 22 22:12:44 UTC 2009

George Prowse wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>> I don't beleive I said "People with servers running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4
>> kernels are badly maintained".  I have very well maintained systems
>> running 2.4 series kernels.
>>

> Then you should know it works the same for packages. You can have well
> maintained systems without having the latest software. Not all upgrades
> are because of security exploits, in fact plenty of people specifically
> have systems that are not up-to-date because of the inherent security
> risks using software that hasn't had the time 'in the wild' so to speak.

So we agree, jolly good.

>>> Maybe you should go and tell them?
>>>

>> Security updates happen all the time.
>>
>> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-errata.html
>> http://www.debian.org/security/
>> http://www.novell.com/linux/security/advisories.html
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn
>> http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/advisories?dis=2009.0
>>
>> If you're updating once a year then, yes, you have a badly maintained
>> system as your server may be carrying a known vulnerable exploit for
>> quite some time.
>>

> lol, the people that update once a year dont just install and then
> ignore their systems.

So when you said "You dont need to keep updating Gentoo, some people on
production servers will do it once a year" what you actually meant
was... errr.... something else?

>>> Ah yes, a great page created by someone whose linux knowlege was so poor
>>> he couldn't get Gentoo working. Awesome.
>>>

>> Do you have a citation for that assertion?
>>

> Why else would someone have a chip on their shoulder about Gentoo?

In other words, no, you don't have a citation for that assertion.  It's
your _opinion_ that the person who created that page has such poor
knowledge of Linux that he or she couldn't get Gentoo working. Stating
something as fact does not make it so.

>>> Do you have something against Gentoo or are you in a bad mood?
>>>

>> Mu.
>>

> ??? Anyway, do you have anything better to add?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(negative)

You asked me the question "Do you have something against Gentoo or are
you in a bad mood?".  This question exceeds the scope of the answer. The
famous example of this is "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?".

We're now way off topic, if you have anything further to add to this
thread, please feel free to email me off list.

Regards

Mart.