[Klug-general] [Klug-General] More free stuff

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:24:48 UTC 2009

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

>>> Then they have badly maintained systems.
>>>

>> Orly? So all those servers running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 kernels are badly
>> maintained?
>>

> I don't beleive I said "People with servers running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4
> kernels are badly maintained".  I have very well maintained systems
> running 2.4 series kernels.

Then you should know it works the same for packages. You can have well
maintained systems without having the latest software. Not all upgrades
are because of security exploits, in fact plenty of people specifically
have systems that are not up-to-date because of the inherent security
risks using software that hasn't had the time 'in the wild' so to speak.

>> Maybe you should go and tell them?
>>

> Security updates happen all the time.
>
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-errata.html
> http://www.debian.org/security/
> http://www.novell.com/linux/security/advisories.html
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn
> http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/advisories?dis=2009.0
>
> If you're updating once a year then, yes, you have a badly maintained
> system as your server may be carrying a known vulnerable exploit for
> quite some time.

lol, the people that update once a year dont just install and then
ignore their systems.

>>> Perhaps not suitable for younger persons but  http://funroll-loops.info/
>>>

>> Ah yes, a great page created by someone whose linux knowlege was so poor
>> he couldn't get Gentoo working. Awesome.
>>

> Do you have a citation for that assertion?

Why else would someone have a chip on their shoulder about Gentoo?

>> Do you have something against Gentoo or are you in a bad mood?
>>

> Mu.

??? Anyway, do you have anything better to add?