[Klug-general] Administration software for schools

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Thu Jan 22 17:56:16 UTC 2009

Mike Rentell wrote:
> Yes, the price of useful admin software for windoze is a serious drag on
> organisations with little budget. I run the finances of a small
> international society which is a Company Limited by Guarantee so our
> finances need to be spotless for legal audit, Only Sage fits the bill
> and we cannot afford the support fees so the learning curve was a bit steep.

Who told you that about Sage? The people who sold it to you?

There is a lot of bookkeeping software out there, and most of it is both
cheaper and more user-friendly than Sage. Some good online SaaS services
as well. Sage's ubiquity is a triumph of marketing over usability.

Ignore ICAEW accreditation. If you look into that it's no better than
paid advertising.

If you want true Open Source take a look at www.ledgersmb.org. All you
need is a Linux machine to run it on.

Regards,