[Klug-general] Saturday 25th July 10am to 2pm

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:19:25 UTC 2009

2009/7/15 james morris <james at jwm-art.net>:

> On 15/7/2009, "Colin McCarthy" <binarysignal at gmail.com> wrote
>
>>Julia has offered to do a talk on 'The Filesystem' so if someone would like
>>to offer or suggest a second 'TechTalk' please do.
>>

> I can't offer to do a tech talk, but was just curious about the scope of
> the them? The Filesystem is a good choice as it's relevant to
> everybody. What about programming topics? As I don't work in IT, and
> not having any coder friends, I don't get to talk face-to-face with
> other coders about it.
>
> unfortunately i would think a programming topic is either going to be far
> too generalized to please anyone, or far too specific to please everyone.
>
> what do you think?
>
> regards,
> james.
>
> ps: a programming techtalk on autotools (aka autohell) and building
> (portable-ish) C libraries would come in quite useful to me right now ;-)

I'm not sure; A talk on autotools ie configure, make etc might be very
useful they are kind of key to getting most stuff working from source
code. ie the old ./configure; make; make install

A talk on Scripting Languages might be of intrest to quite a few, ie
Perl, Python, Bash etc etc. and could go quite in depth..... while
still keeping it beginner proof.

I would quite like to hear a talk on RegExp, awk, egrep, cut, perl etc etc.

But maybe a talk on the wonders of the shell might be a good place to
start. This is one of the main good points of linux I mean you can't
do things with the windows gui, that you can do with a shell script.
We get to reliant on GUI and need to remember how to use the shell.

Peter.