[Klug-general] Saturday 25th July 10am to 2pm

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Jul 16 13:58:47 UTC 2009

On 16/7/2009, "Mike Evans" <mike at tandem.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>I think I could manage half an hour on the lifecycle of a bit of source
>code from starting with a lump of C through autoconf, ./configure, make
>and make install, with a side dish of a minute or two on packaging.  It
>would all be at a very introductory level because that's the level I'm
>at already.

i'm working on a library at the moment and am having a bit of a tough
time debugging. previously i've hand-written Makefiles and this is my
first attempt at creating a lib so i decided to let the autotools handle
it for me.

it seemed to take a lot of searching to discover i could pass CFLAGS on
the commandline to ./configure to disable optimization and enable a
greater level of debugging information, ( i was expecting to
--enable-debug or have a debug target for make or something ) but in GDB
when stepping through the lib i have to type list to see the code - it
no longer prints the line#+codesegment as i step.

are you making use of the generated config.h ? i'm a little confused as
to how i should deal with it - portability stuff like implementing my
own versions of the std string.h functions in case they're missing on
whatever stupid clapped out system one obscure user might insist it
works on (:p to those people) it's almost as bad as css-hacks for
internet explorer (which i refuse to touch with a barge pole).

i wanted to disable a dependancy so as to not insist on people installing
a lib and then not compile the code that depended on it, but, wanted to
use pkg-config, but, .... very confusing.

autoscan is quite useful, but misses out a few things. autoreconf is god
in autohell.

james.