[Klug-general] Laptop questions

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Mon Jun 1 10:17:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:04 +0100, Peter Apps wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a new or secondhand laptop suitable for the latest
> versions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
>
> It'll be mainly used used for word-processing and Internet. It'll
> connected at various times by ethernet, wlan and 3 mobile broadband.
>
> A largish screen, say >=15" would be nice.
>
> My present laptop is an Acer Travelmate 230 running Puppy Linux. After
> it's been running for a time the hard drive just chunters away and the
> laptop slows so that it can take half an hour to shutdown. I think it
> may be overheating but I'm not sure. Again, any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Chunters as in clicking noise, followed by a slowing an speeding up of
the disc.

That'll be broken :/ Make sure you get your data off it pretty damn
quick.

> Finally I'm trying to set up mobile broadband in Puppy Linux using its
> PGPRS Modem Setup Wizard. It detects three devices /dev/ttyUSB0,
> /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyS0. I assume one is the phone modem, one
> is the memory device on the mobile modem and the other is the modem
> itself. How do I work out which is which?

The memory device is on /dev/sd? rather than a tty, the modem will
probably be ttyS0 although there's a chance that it isn't even related,
when I say modem though, I mean bog standard dialup affair.

The gprs modem probably resides on ttyUSB0 but, I'd say... Use network
manager, it makes this easy!

K,