[Klug-general] Be careful with ext4

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 28 10:08:30 UTC 2009

George Prowse wrote:
> Michael E. Rentell wrote:
>> Good day all...
>
> Oops!
>
> No offence or anything but you seem like the kind of person who likes
> to play it safe (backups, easy life, mandriva, etc) so what on earth
> are you doing using ext4 anyway? Just like with Reiser4 (for the past
> 3 years) people are still arguing whether it eats data or not.
>
> Anyway, to get all your information back all you need is
> SystemRescueCD or if you know how to use it - Gentoo.
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

No offence taken. I use Linux because I like the philosophy and because
I need to have all the facilities that I can understand to run an
international association of which I am a director. The lack of cost is
also a factor. I cut my teeth on valves (those are things that came
before discrete transistors  :-)  ) and moved on to computers in the
early 1970s and took a degree majoring in computers at that time. I can
(could!) program a mainframe in cobol and algol and understood what I
was doing. But as things have 'improved' and become smaller I've only
just been able to keep up in the (slightly) knowledgeable user group.
So I love the Linux idea and proselytize as often as I can with
colleagues who just sigh and are tolerant. When a Mandriva upgrade
suggests that ext4 would be a good move, who am I to argue? Presumably
the folk at Mandriva didn't expect me to be so dissatisfied with their
latest offering as to want to go back.

My experience was salutary - and I just wanted other members of the
group to be warned. As I said, those with knowledge would know but
perhaps others in the group are just simple users like me. I was just
trying to help, a bit.

MikeR