[Klug-general] Pronunciation of Linux

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Tue Jun 30 10:04:27 UTC 2009

I noticed a lot of people using the word 'lynuks' instead of
'linnuks' at the meeting on Saturday. I thought I'd make myself
popular by correcting you all! But the page I found says 'lynucks' is
widely used and accepted.

http://safalra.com/science/linguistics/linux-pronunciation/

A long time ago now, I used to pronounce it 'lynuks' but eventually
looked it up out of curiosity and the page I found then, informed me
'linnuks' was THE only correct pronunciation and 'lynuks'
consequently became an indicator in my mind of a newbie ;-)

So there you go, I'll grudgingly allow you to pronounce it how you like,
but if you're pedantic about these things then perhaps Linnus will
offer authoritative assistance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

James.