[Klug-general] Pronunciation of Linux

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 30 10:23:37 UTC 2009

Well it's actually a contraction of Linus (Torvald's) Unix isn't it?

In Scandinavia the name Linus is pronounced Leenus (not Linnus) but in
Britain the same name is pronounced Lynus - as it is in America.

So you can be strictly native Viking and call it Leenuks or you can be a
true Brit and stick to our own fractured pronunciation due to a Flemish
influence centuries ago.

Pedantic Scandinavians pronounce it Leenuks and pedantic Brits call it
Lynuks.

It would appear that Linnucks is another, probably equally wrong
pronunciation.

Don't matter much really do it? I'm sure they don't like to be corrected
as much as we do/don't.

MikeR
in Folkestone
(noted language nut)