[Klug-general] Network Switches

Colin binarysignal at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:52:02 UTC 2009

2009/5/15 Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org>

> Just rack every one brain.
>
> I have a small network made up of a number of Unmanaged Switches we
> have gathered over a period of time.
>
> Its about 40 PC wired round about 8 unmanaged switches. (Says he
> trying to count them)
>
> We suffer from Random Packet loss from time to time, this is usally
> fixed by unplugging the machine suffering from this error and plugging
> back in again. (The network cable)
>
> Where to start working out how to cure the problem on a more perminate
> basis....
>
> I'm wondering if the problem is Network Card, Cable, Switch or
> Drivers. or what.....
>
> Thanks

I would guess you have a switching loop some place and could be suffering a
broadcast storm.  This could be initiated from a faulty NIC. We had a
similar problem couple of years ago and replaced all unmanaged switches with
managed ones and enabled STP.  This stabilised the network and stopped
switching loops/broadcast storms.
Colin
(just my uneducated guess)