[Klug-general] Network Switches

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:56:54 UTC 2009

2009/5/15 Colin <binarysignal at gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/15 Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org>
>>
>> Just rack every one brain.
>>
>> I have a small network made up of a number of Unmanaged Switches we
>> have gathered over a period of time.
>>
>> Its about 40 PC wired round about 8 unmanaged switches. (Says he
>> trying to count them)
>>
>> We suffer from Random Packet loss from time to time, this is usally
>> fixed by unplugging the machine suffering from this error and plugging
>> back in again. (The network cable)
>>
>> Where to start working out how to cure the problem on a more perminate
>> basis....
>>
>> I'm wondering if the problem is Network Card, Cable, Switch or
>> Drivers. or what.....
>>
>> Thanks
>

> I would guess you have a switching loop some place and could be suffering a
> broadcast storm.
>  This could be initiated from a faulty NIC.

Given the way the lights flash (On the back of the relevent computer),
I can understand that diagnosis, Some machine are more prone to it
that others, I might be able to swap out the more prone machines.....
(Some are thin clients)

> We had a
> similar problem couple of years ago and replaced all unmanaged switches with
> managed ones and enabled STP.  This stabilised the network and stopped
> switching loops/broadcast storms.

Could probably remove one or two of the switches, with a bit of
rewiring, (groan) replacing every switch ain't going to happen it
takes long enough here just to buy a light bulb.

Peter.