[Klug-general] getting broadband

AllenJB allen at allenjb.me.uk
Sat Nov 21 14:36:35 UTC 2009

I can highly recommend Be. Used them in Southampton and Canterbury the
past 2 (academic) years. Full speed, all the time. Very little downtime.
Excellent service.

I would also recommend not using Virgin cable where possible. And never
touch their ADSL service - it's atrocious.

For Virgin, I have a couple of tips:

1) Make sure you're getting you're net through a separate modem, not the
set top box. If you're still using the set top box, give Virgin a call.
The STB's can only do 2M, which I only found out after I called them due
to a lack of response to my request to upgrade our connection to 10M
(for free \o/, but about time -.- ).

2) Do read their Traffic Management policy: Google "virgin throttling"
or direct:
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

If you do a lot of downloading, schedule it overnight where possible, or
at least when you're not around.

Also, do note that Virgin use "megabit" rather than "megabyte" as a
measurement of speed. This isn't unusual, but may catch you out. This
does mean that a 10mbit/s connection will only give you ~1mbyte/s download.

AllenJB