[Klug-general] getting broadband

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:24:36 UTC 2009

On 21/11/2009 15:16, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> The other thing to be wary of is the contract you get tied into - generally
> the lower the monthly value the longer the term.  There's plenty of articles
> about BB Contracts including those tied into mobile contracts.
>
> I don't know if anyone here has as yet tried it, but BT's offering for BB
> provided over it's landlines an ADSL Conditioner that reputedly can either
> provide a more stable line speed, or an increased line speed.  So much so,
> as the hype goes, places that were outside of normal BB provision may be
> able to get it - albeit at a low rate.  Refer to the previous post about "up
> to" a particular speed.
>
> I've had BT Total BB for the past 4 years, including two house moves, and
> the only problem I had was with a faulty Home Hub which was replaced without
> question.  I'm over 2 miles from the local exchange and maintain a
> connection around 6 Mb/s.
>
> Although away from your question, BT is now rolling out high speed BB via
> fibre to the home, which will give up to 40 Mb/s.  I am also aware of Ultra
> high speed ADSL over fibre, which will be offering speeds in excess of 1 Gb,
> which is under development.
>
> Ian

One thing that turns me off of BT's broadband is the way it advrtises
"Only £5.99!!!*" and then adds in tiny writing at the bottom (*that
price is only for 3 months, £15.99 for the rest of the contract). I find
it almost immoral to advertise it like that - similar to the way people
put a small price on things on ebay and then put huge postage costs on it.