[Klug-general] help to Untangle my untangle tangle

dan attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:32:48 UTC 2009

Karl Lattimer wrote:
> do they both land on port 80 on the machine that's forwarding them on?
>

> e.g.
>
> ex1 --- 80 -> 80-> router ---------- 80 --->
>
> ex2 --- 80 -> 81-> router ---------- 80 --->
>
> Should work, but I think if you try and have port 80 routed twice
> through one router even if it comes from a different external IP it
> may cause problems... I'm not sure, I can't really understand your
> original diagram.

I think the problem is your diagram in the way that I would expect a
network to be set up - although you sohuldn't need the 80> 81 conversion

My topology looks more like;

ex1 --- 80 -> 80-> router ---------- 80 ---> firewall ----> server

ex2 --- 80 -> 80-> router ---------- 80 ---> firewall ----> server

I'm pretty sure my main issue stems from the fact that the router has an
internal ip address. Therefore everything arriving at the firewall looks
like it's come from the internal ip of the router which is course a
single ip and therefore to use the same port numbers