[Klug-general] Power Consumption

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Sep 18 09:44:27 UTC 2009

Hi Alex,

2009/9/18 Alex Layfield <alex at alexlayfield.force9.co.uk>:
> Any ideas on minimal power req for various AT ATX ITX setups?

The only 3 machines I have tested with a power meter. I haven't gone
into detail about specific components that you've listed, but it
should give you some idea.

Dell Optiplex G1: PII 233MHz, 192MB RAM, 2x PCI LAN, 6GB 3.5" HDD,
CDROM, Floppy:  ~100W
Acer Aspire Revo R3600: Atom 1.6GHz, Nvidia ION GPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD: ~25-30W
Viglen MPC-L: AMD Geode 400MHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB 2.5" HDD

The Dell used to be my firewall, but I've replaced that with a Viglen
with one onboard NIC and an Apple USB Ethernet adapter. Works well,
and is 10x less power hungry than the old box. The Revo is sat under
the telly and runs Boxee. I played some media on it last night and it
peaked at 30W. The old Dell is of course just that, old. As such it's
quite a power hungry beast. Using old computers for tasks like that is
an idea, but they aren't efficient.

USB sticks wont eat much power as they have a limit of 5V at 500ma. Of
course externally powered USB devices like hard disks are another
matter, but generally they're not too bad.

The Viglen is a great little (slow) workhorse. I have two, one as I
said as a firewall, the other as a general purpose server. It does
remote backups of machines to a locally attached USB disk. It also
hosts a full copy of the Ubuntu repository as my local mirror.

Cheers,
Al.