[Klug-general] Power Consumption

James Blake jimmyblake at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:02:57 UTC 2009

Solid State Drives have a lower power consumption than mechanical
disks, but this isn't normally noticed in things like laptops and
desktops because of a) the limited number of read/write occuring; and
b) in these environments with typically powerful graphics cards, sound
cards, etc, the disk is one of the lowest power drawers.

It does make a difference when your talking about the density of a
data centre where each fractional saving quickly adds up and heat
generation and power availability are top issues.

We're testing the new all SSD HP ProLiant G6 setup at the moment but
the sizes of the SSDs are so small (120 Gb compared to 1Tb) we'd need
to increase our server density and therefore negate the power
benefit.  The drives are also about 30 - 50 times faster for retrieval
than mechanical ones (but slower on writes), but for lots of I/O
operations Flash only has a limited lifespan (but most have
controllers than ensure distribution across the entire memory to
prevent overuse of any particular area).

Regards

James