[Klug-general] Saturday 26th September Dover Meeting

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Sun Sep 20 17:05:03 UTC 2009

On 20/9/2009, "Kevin Groves" <kgroves at ksoft-electrical-projects.co.uk>
wrote:

>Short notice but if anyone who can come along and messes with MIDI
>instruments wouldnt mind showing me the gear and software they might use
>I would be very pleased! :-)
>
>Thanks
>Kev,

Hi Kev,

A list of audio/MIDI software for Linux here:

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/start

What you want depends on how far you're willing to get into it. When you
say MIDI instruments do you mean hardware of software?

I'm running a seperate Debian Lenny install minus any audio packages -
all audio/midi stuff i've downloaded and built from source (the least
easy way of doing it, but it suits me) with a realtime patched 2.6.26
kernel (igno molnar patches), etc,etc,etc,etc,etc...

There are variants of the main distros (ubuntu studio/pure
dyne/64studio/planet ccrma) tuned for multimedia production for the easy
route. If you're wanting to have software synths, software drum
machines, software samplers, hard disk recorders (ie ardour2), then
you'll need the realtime stuff, but i read somewhere you can get away
without having a realtime (preemptive scheduling) kernel, with something
like Rosegarden (a MIDI sequencer with all bells/whistles) and
fluidsynth.

I could probably bring my desktop with me, if you're interested to see
the above software running, but I don't have any speakers I could
bring, otherwise it's headphones.

James.