[Klug-general] Website Hosting Advise

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:07:05 UTC 2009

2009/9/23 Karl Buckland <karl at digital-end.com>:
> 2009/9/23 Peter Childs <PChilds at bcs.org.uk>:
>>
>> Either and or both, I would prefer to be able to run a PostgreSQL
>> database as I can't stand MySql and can't get my head round it..... So
>> I might need to look at getting a virtual server, or hosting the
>> database in-house.
>
> Well, personally having used both PostgreSQL and MySQL I find very
> little difference between them unless you're using some of the more
> advanced functions, which gives PostgreSQL the upper hand. If you're
> planning on spending a lot of time developing a high-volume website
> then developing it in house and investing time and money into those
> skills/personnel would make sense. If on the other hand it's only a
> small website then sticking with what you have, or continuing to use
> another company for development would make more sense.

It may be just me, But I can never get MySql to do what I want it to
do, even simple SQL does not seam to work consistently.

>> I want to add an srv record so that we can accept direct SIP calls.
>> (or at least that what I think I need to do)
>
> Could you not use another domain/subdomain, or even an IP for this?

Well I've tried phoning an sip address on the machine from my ekiga
account and it will not go through unless I register with my own
server.... and as far as I know I've set it up correctly. The only
clue I've got as to why it does not work was the missing srv record on
then DNS.

Peter.