[Klug-general] Website Hosting Advise

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Wed Sep 23 10:46:50 UTC 2009

2009/9/23 Peter Childs <PChilds at bcs.org.uk>:

> Either and or both, I would prefer to be able to run a PostgreSQL
> database as I can't stand MySql and can't get my head round it..... So
> I might need to look at getting a virtual server, or hosting the
> database in-house.

Well, personally having used both PostgreSQL and MySQL I find very
little difference between them unless you're using some of the more
advanced functions, which gives PostgreSQL the upper hand. If you're
planning on spending a lot of time developing a high-volume website
then developing it in house and investing time and money into those
skills/personnel would make sense. If on the other hand it's only a
small website then sticking with what you have, or continuing to use
another company for development would make more sense.

> I want to add an srv record so that we can accept direct SIP calls.
> (or at least that what I think I need to do)

Could you not use another domain/subdomain, or even an IP for this?

Karl