[Klug-general] Website Hosting Advise

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:10:48 UTC 2009

2009/9/23 dan attwood <danattwood at googlemail.com>:

>> I was looking at Drupal, My website needs some complicated forms and
>> needs to access an external Postgres Database which I don't want to
>> mix up with the Drupal One.... I want to keep the split for security
>> reasons (among others)......
>>
>> Peter.
>>

> well complictaded form aren't an issue - you can do all kinds of things
> with cck

CCK is great when you want to create new fields and bits on Nodes but
when you want to do other things with the results they fall apart.

> as for connecting to an external database i'm not sure of the best
> approach to that. I;d think long and hard about ti though. Can you just
> dump a form form the website to an email and parse it into the postgres
> database?
>
> another possibility to build a form that uses the postgres db and then
> iframe it into the drupal setup

I was thinking more along the lines of writing the whole thing in
Drupal and then access the external data when I needed it through an
API. My logic being that iframes mean the gui gets split up and it
really ought to be kept together so that should I need to redo the
style sheets etc I can do it all in one place.

But as I said part of the problem is that I'm entirely out of my depth,

Peter.