[Klug-general] cp & gvfs-cp

Jake Subs subs at growdigital.net
Mon Aug 9 13:31:01 UTC 2010

I use the magnificent Geany http://geany.org text editor for coding
HTML & CSS, but I've noticed that when saving files over an SSH
connection in Ubuntu to a linux server, it is _incredibly_ slow.

I've asked on the mailing list and someone has said:

> what's happening when you save a remote file via SSH in Geany is
that a simple write operation if performed on a file in the filesystem.
Pretty much the same as a simple 'cp' on the command line.
The remote file is mounted into the filesystem using GVfs and its fuse
backend which actually outs the remote end into the filesystem

And asked me to compare `cp` and `gvfs-cp` to see the difference in
performance.

However, how do I do this?! Where is the server mounted (I've looked
under /media and /mnt)? And how can you compare cp and gvfs-cp if cp
is just a local operation? I'm kind of confused...

Please do excuse my CLI ignorance, which is gargantuan in scope and
relentless in depth.

tia, Jake