[Klug-general] cp & gvfs-cp

Alan Buchel alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Mon Aug 9 16:29:57 UTC 2010

gvfs (Gnome Virtual File System)is for working with file systems mounted
via fuse, and it does not really mount in the classic Linux sense.

I am a bit short on the theory as usual, but practically what this means is:

For instance you can gvfs to work over samba connections.

gvfs-copy smb://svrname/sharename/filename local-destination

Will work fine whereas the plain "cp" cannot address the samba share
directly, you would have to mount it first:

mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pass \\svrname\share mountpoint

. And it seems pretty quick, as long as you are already authenticated
(via gnome).

I havent use geany, but it  could be that it's is trying to
re-authenticate every time it makes a connection and this is taking time?