[Klug-general] Where in the world?

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sat Aug 21 21:21:14 UTC 2010

On 21/08/10 15:21, Nathan Friend wrote:
> Nope no clear explanation, just a sweeping statement that opensource
> software wont work on these laptops, apparently.

I suppose he must be aware of the special new add-on for all laptops
sold in PC World.  It looks for copies of the GPL licence and on finding
one falls over in a heap.  (OK - just to be explicit before I get quoted
on The Chive - This is a JOKE, it's called irony/sarcasm, don't blame me
if you don't get it - it's humour for grown-ups.)

Seriously though - the correct answer to this sort of thing is to say
"can I quote you on that?  I'll need your name etc...."  I know it mean
to get some poor 6th-form twerp fired, but it's the only way to make
them realise that it does matter.

To be fair to PC World, although it is some time back, I bought my
Laptop at the one in T. Wells and the moment I mentioned Linux they
wheeled out their enthusiast who promptly repartitioned the disk so that
there was space for it and checked that the Windows installation was
still working before I left the shop with it.  All free of charge.

MikeE