[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 1 12:41:06 UTC 2010

Dan Attwood wrote:

>     I then thought that I would need some sort of samba thingy for printing
>     from virtualbox/windows and was equally baffled by the huge number of
>     offerings. I selected what seemed to be valid stuff and a samba icon
>     appeared in the start menu but when I click it nothing happens.
>

> are you printing to a usb printer on the host machine?
>
> if so you'll need to have the non open source version of virtualbox and
> make sure to install the guest additions on the virtual machine. you'll
> then be able to go to the devices menu and attach your printer

Thanks for that Dan. I am aware of that one. In fact all my user files
are still in /home and that of course includes virtualbox and all the
virtual OSes in it. It worked under Mandriva/PCLinuxOS - it don't work
under Kubuntu.

Also I now find that it won't see my USB scanner which M/PCL both do
without any problem.

Think I'll give up. Been here 48 hours now and still not fully operational.

Still can't see why the world seems ubuntu fixated. It don't work for me.
Sorry folks - I did try.
MikeR