[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:32:21 UTC 2010

> The problem with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu is that I can see no simple gui
> way of setting up NFS. There doesn't seem to be a tool to identify the
> nfs servers on the network and to mount them to files on the main PC.
> That and no way of using my scanner.
> Until these things are solved simply I think I will be giving ubuntu and
> kubuntu a miss.
> MikeR
>

> hey whatever works for you! those wizards in mandriva are certainly good
and i'm surprised it's something that ubuntu hasn't tried to implement a
version of.

As for NFS and ubuntu you probably need to bear in mind that most ubuntu
users will probably be using samba for their network shares - this is very
much built into ubuntu.  You just right click a folder select share folder
and set permissions. If you haven't already got samba installed then ubuntu
will prompt you to install it. You can then browse network shares via the
places menu. This is a process very similar to another popular operating
system.