[Klug-general] Faversham Linux Users Group - workshops

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:35:02 UTC 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:24:39 +0000
> From: Jake Rayson <subs at growdigital.net>
> Subject: [Klug-general] Faversham Linux Users Group - workshops
> To: kent at mailman.lug.org.uk
>
> I've booked a room at the Faversham Community Cafe for a series of 4
> morning workshops on the first four Tuesdays in April (6th, 13th, 20th
> and 27th).
>
> The format will be up to 8 Linux beginners bringing along their
> computers, and installing and configuring in situ. Hopefully it'll be
> possible to 'buddy' match the beginners with experienced users.
>
> The workshops will cost ?20 per person to cover the hire of the room.
>
> If any one is interested or knows someone who could be, whether beginner
> or experience user, then do let me know. I'm also in the midst of
> organising an inaugural meeting in early April TBC.
>
> Information will be posted up on http://www.flug.org.uk/ next week some
> time.
>
> cheers, Jake
>
> PS the outline of the workshops are:
>
> * **Day 1:** Installation
>    * Free Software & LUGs
>    * Install Linux
>    * Connect to the internet
>    * Update
>    * Install new software
>    * Add software sources
>    * Customise the appearance
> * **Day 2:** Use the web
>    * Install Firefox Add-ons
>    * Downloading files
>    * Finding answers online
>    * Howtos & tutorials
>    * Useful forums
>    * The FLUG site
> * **Day 3:** Email & office
>    * Email programs
>    * Setting up email
>    * OpenOffice.org
>    * Installing a printer
>    * Creating templates
> * **Day 4:** Other applications
>    * Listen to MP3s
>    * Watch movies
>    * Sorting photos
>    * Graphics programs
>    * Installing fonts
>

> --
> [~] Jake Rayson
> [e] subs at growdigital.net
> [w] http://growdigital.net
> [~] Teaching the web with Free Software

I am unable to make Tuesday mornings, I like most people will have
either work or other commitments during the day on a Tuesday and will
need a time that fits in with the rest of our lives.

But for the benefit of those interested What time is it going to be?

I just had a look at the http://www.flug.org.uk/ website, I think the
home page should have more information about who you are/what you do
rather than requiring people to sign up/log in before seeing anything.

I assume that the cost is "£20" I fail to see how you are going to
attract (I won't refer to myself as an expert) people with Linux
experience to give of their and time to help others by charging them
such a fee, I'm happy to go along with a "caffeine & cake tax" or  a
"2/3 drinks and something to nibble on" arrangement with a caffee in
exchange for the space but a flat fee puts me off. Or is this £20 for
the beginners? If so it sounds more like you are offering to provide
training/service to people as a business rather than a general LUG
type activity.