[Klug-general] Changing the Standard Gnome Desktop

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Wed Feb 17 10:01:17 UTC 2010

On 17/2/2010, "Peter Childs" <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

>Sounds simple, but Gnome settings are in about 5 different places and
>it all seams very gui locked like windows.....

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I stopped using it - long ago. A short
time ago I tried  a version of Ubuntu and the Gnome desktop was really
dull and uninspiring, and all the themes were grey, or white, or grey,
or white, with the occasional splash of colour. And some bog-standard
icons were there on the desktop, yawn...

Fluxbox on the other hand... Is pretty dull and uninspiring too, but
it's a thousand times more lightweight, has a thousand less
dependencies, and at least is not trying to be anything it's not: it's
just a window manager with a application menu (which I can completely
and easily customize) and it stays out of my way, does not distract me
and I forget about it.

I used to really like Gnome....  Gnome <= 2.6 I think.

James