[Klug-general] Linux weather station!

Hubertus A. Haniel hubba at unixcook.com
Sat Feb 20 18:01:05 UTC 2010

Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> On 20 February 2010 11:59, Hubertus A. Haniel <hubba at unixcook.com> wrote:
>> I have a Oregon Scientific Weather Station hooked up to my linux box -
>> all the sensors around the house and garden are wireless:
>> http://www.upnor.net/cgi-bin/weather/currentweather.pl
>
> I quite like that! :)  What model are you using?  The Oregon
> Scientific kit I found that would definitely work with Linux seemed
> quite expensive.

Mine is the Oregon Scientific WMR968
(http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/oregon_scientific/product.asp?itmky=659831)
but I don't think they are very common anymore as it is about 5 years
old - they did a special offer at the time in Maplins and the software
to get the data out of it is at
http://azug.minpet.unibas.ch/~lukas/wmr918/ - the only trouble I had so
far with it is that I had to replace two of the sensors (rain and wind)
last year but they have been outside untouched for all that time. I also
wrote some scripts so I record the data in Cacti as well now.

I think when this thing finally dies I will move to the Davis Vantage
range as they are supposed to be better but also more expensive -
http://www.joejaworski.com/weather/.

Best regards
Hubba