[Klug-general] Linux weather station!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 18:15:02 UTC 2010

On 20 February 2010 18:00, Hubertus A. Haniel <hubba at unixcook.com> wrote:
> Mine is the Oregon Scientific WMR968

I'm probably going to stick with the 1-wire stuff now - for no better
reason than I want to make some of my own kit and I like the
"home-brew" nature of it all.  Also busy figuring out the protocol so
I can program a PIC to replace the obsolete counting chip.

> the only trouble I had so far with it is that I had to replace two of the sensors (rain and wind)
> last year but they have been outside untouched for all that time. I also
> wrote some scripts so I record the data in Cacti as well now.

Where have you mounted the sensors?  I'm hoping to get away without
putting it all on the roof - put feel at least the wind and daylight
sensors should go up there to avoid distortion from buildings.

Keen to see tends and set up automated alerts; having never been that
interested in the garden before, I feel that I'll need some sort of
reminder to dash out and protect the plants from the elements.

> I think when this thing finally dies I will move to the Davis Vantage
> range as they are supposed to be better but also more expensive -
> http://www.joejaworski.com/weather/.

Maybe I can persuade you to give home brew a go if my experiment goes
well?  The 1-wire temperature chips are about £7/each and the protocol
doesn't seem that difficult to implement, but they do need a cable.

Take care,

Ben