[Klug-general] OT: Gardening was Re: Linux weather station!

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Sun Feb 21 15:35:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 02:57:49PM +0000, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> On 19 February 2010 17:07, J D Freeman <klug at quixotic.org.uk> wrote:
> > Do you know if the 1-wire rain guage is available anywhere sensible?
>
> The only one I've been able to find is this -
> http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=81
>
> Seems a bit expensive to me!

Ah, I found that one. In the garden, rainfall is actually the more
important thing for me to monitor, so its tempting just to get a rainfall
gauge... Much to think on.

> Heavy rain all day here, so putting my plans to dig on hold and making
> sense of the 1-wire protocol instead...

It stopped about an hour ago in canterbury. I haven't done much in the
garden, most of the fruit trees (49ish) can be left to their own devices.
I have just been concentrating on getting seedlings started off, to the
point where I am now running out of window cill space for new seedlings.

I also made the mistake of buying to pepper plants in B&Q for 78p each the
other day during a moment of weekness.

Hmm, we seem to have a significiant KLUG gardening subgroup now, should we
consider a fork... :p