[Klug-general] OT: Gardening was Re: Linux weather station!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 18:37:54 UTC 2010

On 21 February 2010 15:35, J D Freeman <klug at quixotic.org.uk> wrote:
> Ah, I found that one. In the garden, rainfall is actually the more
> important thing for me to monitor, so its tempting just to get a rainfall
> gauge... Much to think on.

Perhaps a manual one to start?  They're quite cheap I think, around
£10.  But I'm terrible at remembering to check things - hence wanting
the weather station to remind me - and often get dragged away from
home for work.

>> Heavy rain all day here, so putting my plans to dig on hold and making
>> sense of the 1-wire protocol instead...
> It stopped about an hour ago in canterbury.

Stopped briefly in Ashford and then started again!  Met Office are
predicting heavy rainfall for the rest of the week, so I'm sticking to
figuring out the 1-wire protocol for now.  May just ignore overdrive
mode for my DS2423 replacement, implement more efficient commands, or
maybe even just look for a different solution to 1-wire...

> I haven't done much in the garden, most of the fruit trees (49ish) can be left to their own devices.

Surely that's not a garden, sounds more like an orchard to me! :)  Not
sure whether to be envious or relieved! :)

Have you tried splicing?  I've only got room for a couple of trees and
tempted to try growing different varieties on the same tree, but not
sure how practical it will be with growing them in espaliers.

> I have just been concentrating on getting seedlings started off, to the
> point where I am now running out of window cill space for new seedlings.

My window cill is sadly just full of herbs from the supermarket that
are desperately clinging on for dear life; even the mint seems to be
about to give up!  Must get the garden cleared and the greenhouse up
so I can make a start before the end of Spring!

> I also made the mistake of buying to pepper plants in B&Q for 78p each the
> other day during a moment of weekness.

I've got aspirations of growing my own peppers and chillies! :)  Fed
up with finding the supermarket ones rotting at the bottom of the
fridge.  Would like to have fresh available!  Hopefully, one day! :)

> Hmm, we seem to have a significiant KLUG gardening subgroup now, should we
> consider a fork... :p

Perhaps our own branch? ;-)

Take care,

Ben