[Klug-general] Linux Ebook composition software

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 18 12:06:45 UTC 2010

On 17/01/10 18:29, Colin McCarthy wrote:
> 2010/1/17 Kevin Groves <kgroves at ksoft-electrical-projects.co.uk
> <mailto:kgroves at ksoft-electrical-projects.co.uk>>
>
>     try calibre
>

> I thought http://calibre-ebook.com/ was just for e-Book management,
> making stuff a .pdf and then transferring to an e-book.
>
> Mike when you say 'Does anyone know of any Linux software which will
> take a pdf file and
> convert it to the page-turning ebook type file for a website?'  What
> exactly are you looking for as a .pdf file can be viewed on an e-book,
> and one would assume the e-book software allows pages to be turned etc
> :-)  Or do you want the .pdf to be converted to a flash file that would
> hosted on a website and animate a page turning when people turned to the

Good question, I think the latter is what I was actually after. I'm very
new to ebooks but I have had a query from my association council and I'm
trying to find out as much as I can.

I think the idea is to have a pdf of our quarterly journal loaded up to
our website and make it available for on-line viewing with flashy
animated page-turning software.

But all suggestions received so far have been useful. For instance, I
didn't know that ebooks could read pdf. We produce our journal in pdf
format for the printer so the advice from KLUG has taken me a few more
steps.

Thanks be to all.
MikeR