[Klug-general] Baffled by Kubuntu networking

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 22:12:43 UTC 2010

An interesting featurette of both Ubuntu and Kbuntu is that the nfs
client is not installed by default and must be added through the package
manager.  Once you have done that you can access NFS filesystems
elsewhere without problems.

I use Fedora on my main server and Ubuntu on my laptop.  The only
tantara around Ubuntu is that they have done some very smart work around
hardware detection and they are not quite so stuck up about non-free
software.  This means that if you happen to have a graphics or network
adapter which requires some firmware for its on-board processor which is
not available as source code they don't have a problem supplying it to
you.  As a consequence Ubuntu users generally find installation and
initial operations a smoother experience than many other disto users.
That's about it.