[Klug-general] Baffled again - samba networking

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 26 11:23:45 UTC 2010

Good morning all,
Another knotty problem. For reasons I won't bore you with I've switched
from Mandriva/PCLOS to Linux Mint for both my home network (2 PCs wired
through a router).

I've never used Microsoft networking and samba before (previously nfs)
so I'm way outa my depth here as that's all the networking on offer it
seems.

When ever I try and 'see' files on the MAIN machine (I have 'shared'
them) from the BACKUP machine I get a password demand. As this is a
ubuntu derivative there is only the one password for me and that doesn't
work.

How do I find out what password it requires?

I'm sure this is a trivial problem, but only for those who 'just know'.
And I don't.

Any ideas would be welcome.

MikeR