[Klug-general] Baffled again - samba networking

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 13:58:36 UTC 2010

On 26/07/2010 12:23, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
> Good morning all,
> Another knotty problem. For reasons I won't bore you with I've switched
> from Mandriva/PCLOS to Linux Mint for both my home network (2 PCs wired
> through a router).
>
> I've never used Microsoft networking and samba before (previously nfs)
> so I'm way outa my depth here as that's all the networking on offer it
> seems.
>
> When ever I try and 'see' files on the MAIN machine (I have 'shared'
> them) from the BACKUP machine I get a password demand. As this is a
> ubuntu derivative there is only the one password for me and that doesn't
> work.
>
> How do I find out what password it requires?
>
> I'm sure this is a trivial problem, but only for those who 'just know'.
> And I don't.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome.
>
> MikeR

I had to try to fix this for a neighbour. The best idea is to try and
mount it as root:

sudo nautilus
or
sudo nautilus 192.168.1.xxx

Btw, it might be worth installing samba and gvfs-backends and
reconfiguring it

apt-get install samba gvfs-backends
dpkg-reconfigure samba

The problem I was having was one where it said "nautilus cannot handle
natwork shared" and another error. The only way to seemingly fix that is
to run nautilus as this command:

gksudo "dbus-launch nautilus --no-desktop --browser"