[Klug-general] Baffled again - samba networking

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 26 16:42:03 UTC 2010

Michael E. Rentell, BA
Treasurer
www.airship-association.org

On 26/07/10 17:28, Alan Buchel wrote:
> On 26/07/10 12:23, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
>> Good morning all,
>> Another knotty problem. For reasons I won't bore you with I've switched
>> from Mandriva/PCLOS to Linux Mint for both my home network (2 PCs wired
>> through a router).
>>
>> I've never used Microsoft networking and samba before (previously nfs)
>> so I'm way outa my depth here as that's all the networking on offer it
>> seems.
>>
>> When ever I try and 'see' files on the MAIN machine (I have 'shared'
>> them) from the BACKUP machine I get a password demand. As this is a
>> ubuntu derivative there is only the one password for me and that doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> How do I find out what password it requires?
>>
>> I'm sure this is a trivial problem, but only for those who 'just know'.
>> And I don't.
>>
>> Any ideas would be welcome.
>>
>> MikeR

> Perhaps you need to set the users samba password:
>
> smbpasswd -a username
>
> In theory you can have the passwords for samba sync with Unix or LDAP
> using:
>
> unix password sync = Yes
>
> but that also requires configuration of PAM.. another story!

That seemed a quick answer to the problem so I have just entered
smbpasswd -a mick and got the answer command not found. So I thought I
needed to enter it as sudo smbpasswd -a username. Same result.
So I thought maybe the samba server wasn't installed. I checked Synaptic
and it said samba was loaded but above it was samba4 which said it was a
server and was not installed. So I installed it.
Same result.

Any ideas why entering smbpasswd -a username don't work?

Still baffled but a little wiser. Thanks.

MikeR